Here’s what we saw at Hurricanes practice on Tuesday, Miami’s first day after splitting into first team and a scout team to prepare for the Sept. 3 season-opener against Florida A&M:
* Stacy Coley, Al-Quadin Muhammad and Jermaine Grace, who are being investigated by the school, were at practice. Miami has not yet decided what, if any, punishment it will hand out.
* Two freshman of importance, linebacker Michael Pinckney (hamstring) and wide receiver Ahmmon Richards (turf toe), were present and practicing.
* Wide receiver Dionte Mullins, who enrolled last week, was practicing in pads.
* Among the notable names wearing scout team jerseys: defensive tackle Gerald Willis. He is expected to be in Miami’s rotation of defensive tackles, so it’s curious he was in a scout-team shirt.
(A note on that: Last year, Miami determined going into camp that Muhammad would be suspended to start the year. He began game week in a scout-team jersey. We don’t yet know how Mark Richt handles such cases, so at first glance, it’s hard to say what exactly it means in Willis’ case. For example, Willis might be simply practicing with the scout team to give Miami’s offensive line a tougher challenge).
Sam Bruce, coach Mark Richt said, had an allergic reaction and did not practice (note: this blog originally said Bruce was out there in a scout team jersey. That was inaccurate. We regret the error.)
Bruce, who has not made an impact since arriving in July, could potentially be suspended to start the year.
* Defensive end Scott Patchan and defensive lineman Tyreic Martin, both out with knee injuries, did not practice during the 15-minute media viewing. Patchan, coming off an ACL tear in March, was running. Martin, who suffered a knee injury at the start of camp, was riding a bike.
* The offensive line remained the same: Trevor Darling, Kc McDermott, Nick Linder, Danny Isidora, Sunny Odogwu, left to right. Tyree St. Louis and Tyler Gauthier appear to be the next two backups; both were in regular jerseys, not scout-team shirts.
* Freshman Zach McCloud, ahead of sophomore Charles Perry in the race to back up Grace at Sam linebacker, wore his regular jersey number. McCloud was in a scout-team jersey. Other linebackers in regular jerseys: Grace, Shaq Quarterman, Pinckney, McCloud, Jamie Gordinier and Darrion Owens. Perry, Terry McCray and Mike Smith were among those on scout team.
* Freshman Travis Homer was the second-team running back, in front of Mark Walton and Gus Edwards. Joe Yearby was the first-stringer.
* Coach Mark Richt will address the media around 11:20 a.m.