One in a series of short pieces about each Miami senior leading up to the Hurricanes’ final home game of 2016, Saturday against Duke.
The rest of the series:
S Jamal Carter | C Alex Gall | RG Danny Isidora | S Rayshawn Jenkins | P Justin Vogel | TE/DE Stan Dobard | CB Corn Elder | WR Malcolm Lewis | CB Adrian Colbert | WR Stacy Coley | FB Gage Batten | FB Marquez Williams | LS Frank Gabriel, five others
* * *
In our senior-week salute to outgoing Hurricanes, we’re also tipping our cap to:
* Walk-on snapper Frank Gabriel. He was both a long and short snapper for Miami, had a mustache for much of his Miami career, and played his senior year in memory of his father, who died last spring. Economics major.
* Walk-on fullback Wyatt Chickillo, a junior who is graduating. A versatile scout-teamer his entire career, he played numerous positions behind the scenes and saw brief game action this fall. He had a prominent role in the spring, with Gage Batten injured and Marquez Williams yet to arrive. A member of the heralded Chickillo family, he is Nick’s grandson, Tony’s nephew and Anthony’s cousin.
* Offensive lineman Hunter Knighton, who had one of the most inspiring comeback stories in college football last year when he returned from a near-fatal bout with heat stroke. He is graduating early in search of playing time elsewhere. An economics major, like Gabriel and Chickillo.
* Walk-on fullback Kevin Carroll, from Mission Viejo, California. He followed his brother, walk-0n punter Ricky Carroll (2012-14).
* Walk-on wide receiver Austin Pfenninger, a political science major from Carmel, Ind. He saw extensive action last spring, with Miami light on scholarship receivers. He is a graduating (and transferring) junior.
* Walk-on quarterback Michael Welch, from Winnetka, Illinois. He is a redshirt sophomore who is graduating.