CORAL GABLES — Freshman wide receiver Evidence Njoku was among those not present for Monday’s practice, the sixth of camp, after a day of rest Sunday.
Njoku, who had been practicing wearing a flexible brace on his right knee, and was full-go, was not so as Miami opened the second week of camp. He wore a thicker, stabilizing brace on his left knee, and walked to the practice field with the assistance of crutches. He climbed on a stationary bike and used his right, non-braced leg and arms to pedal.
Mark Richt is slated to address the media after practice. We’ll seek clarity on Njoku’s injury and what other activities he did.
Njoku, the 6-6, 196-pound brother of Cleveland Browns first-rounder David Njoku, arrived on campus in July and opened camp competing for time at the X receiver spot, behind redshirt sophomore Lawrence Cager and two redshirt juniors, Dayall Harris and Darrell Langham.
Linebacker Michael Pinckney (hamstring strain) was alongside him, riding the bike as he did most of last week. Former UM star linebackers D.J. Williams and Jon Vilma, who were at UM to get a workout in, checked in with him. Vilma is entering his second season as an ESPN studio analyst.
* After the team stretch portion of practice, quarterbacks, backs, receivers, tight ends and offensive linemen moved from the football field to Mark Light Field. UM this week is resurfacing the field. That appears to be separate from the ongoing construction on the indoor practice facility, which is scheduled to open in Aug. 2018.
That meant the offense was not visible for the media viewing period.
* Quarterbacks Malik Rosier and Evan Shirreffs are on UM’s list of interview subjects today.
* Scouts from the Dolphins and Jaguars watched the early portion of practice.
* Linebacker Waynmon Steed, a true freshman with a knee injury, remains out.
* True freshman running back Robert Burns (shoulder) is still in a green (non-contact) jersey.
CANES CAMP 2017
Day 6 [no practice]
Walton weighs in on QBs, RBs, coaches
Perry ‘a passer, not just a thrower’
Injury updates: Burns could miss opener
Video: Perry runs through first drills
Porter’s video recap, live chat
Day 1 practice notes: Perry batting third
Photos, videos: Practice footage, field under construction
10 big storylines, how to follow camp
Offseason features, news
A sit-down with Richt, Parts I-IV
Miami gearing up for QB battle
Perry learning, adjusting, impressing
UM’s offense will depend on Walton
Quarterman leading Miami’s defense
LBs motivated by UM’s ‘ghosts of greatness’
Richards hoping to be All-American
Berrios tired of hype
‘The Playmaker’ high on Richards
Winston: Perry’s going to be ‘really good’
Cager angling for a comeback
Richt on swag | Says ‘The U is back’
Richt has really strong sandwich takes
Other fun stuff
CanesFest set for Aug. 12
Analyzing the 2017 schedule
The Guide to Watching Miami Football
A visual history of Miami football stadiums
Exclusive look at UM’s new alternate jerseys
UM jersey numbers have meaning
The Glossary of Canes player nicknames
Thomas produces music for DJ Khaled
Fun facts from the 2017 media guide
Projecting Miami’s 2018 draft class
Miami’s over-under: 9 wins
UM picked to win the Coastal
Porter’s preseason All-ACC ballot, predictions