CORAL GABLES — A few notes from the early viewing of Tuesday’s practice, UM’s seventh of camp on the eighth day of drills:
* Lawrence Cager fielding punts. How does that sound to you? The redshirt sophomore, Miami’s second-tallest wide receiver at 6-5 (and 215 pounds), was catching boomers alongside true freshmen regulars Jeff Thomas and DeeJay Dallas. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of that. The guess here: it’s a temporary, fill-in sort of thing. Cager is expected to be a big part of the receiving corps, and Miami has shiftier, speedier options (who aren’t coming off major knee surgery).
* Manny Diaz will address the media after practice, so we won’t get to ask Mark Richt anything today.
* True freshman defensive tackle Jon Ford has yet to arrive. Canesport reported last week Ford, who hasn’t qualified, was due in soon. He is the only 2017 signee not in attendance.
* Sophomore linebacker Michael Pinckney (hamstring), the expected starter at the Will spot, and true freshman receiver Evidence Njoku (hyperextended knee, per Richt) rode stationary bikes. If sophomore tight end Michael Irvin II was there, we did not see him. Same goes for true freshman running back Robert Burns, who had been conspicuous in his green jersey.
* Offensive players practiced on Mark Light Field, with the ongoing resurfacing on Greentree’s grass fields and the indoor facility construction on the turf field. Over at The Light, quarterbacks and receivers were not the only UM athletes playing catch.
* Programming notes: I’m on the Big O Show on WQAM at 10:40 a.m. Our live chat goes on at 2:30 p.m. at Facebook.com/PostOnMiamiHurricanes. Hope you’ll tune into both. Also, if you aren’t, please follow me on Twitter @mattyports and Instagram by the same handle.
Scenes from Greentree:
CANES CAMP 2017
Day 6 [no practice]
Walton weighs in on QBs, RBs, coaches
Perry ‘a passer, not just a thrower’
Injury updates: Burns could miss opener
Video: Perry runs through first drills
Porter’s video recap, live chat
Day 1 practice notes: Perry batting third
Photos, videos: Practice footage, field under construction
10 big storylines, how to follow camp
Offseason features, news
A sit-down with Richt, Parts I-IV
Miami gearing up for QB battle
Perry learning, adjusting, impressing
UM’s offense will depend on Walton
Quarterman leading Miami’s defense
LBs motivated by UM’s ‘ghosts of greatness’
Richards hoping to be All-American
Berrios tired of hype
‘The Playmaker’ high on Richards
Winston: Perry’s going to be ‘really good’
Cager angling for a comeback
Richt on swag | Says ‘The U is back’
Richt has really strong sandwich takes
Other fun stuff
CanesFest set for Aug. 12
Analyzing the 2017 schedule
The Guide to Watching Miami Football
A visual history of Miami football stadiums
Exclusive look at UM’s new alternate jerseys
UM jersey numbers have meaning
The Glossary of Canes player nicknames
Thomas produces music for DJ Khaled
Fun facts from the 2017 media guide
Projecting Miami’s 2018 draft class
Miami’s over-under: 9 wins
UM picked to win the Coastal
Porter’s preseason All-ACC ballot, predictions